Hosni Mubarak had harsh words for the United States and what he described as its misguided quest for democracy in the Middle East in a telephone call with an Israeli lawmaker a day before he quit as Egypt's president.
The legislator, former cabinet minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, said on TV Friday that he came away from the 20-minute conversation on Thursday with the feeling the 82-year-old leader realized "it was the end of the Mubarak era".
"He had very tough things to say about the United States," said Ben-Eliezer, a member of the Labor Party who has held talks with Mubarak on numerous occasions while serving in various Israeli coalition governments.
"He gave me a lesson in democracy and said: 'We see the democracy the United States spearheaded in Iran and with Hamas, in Gaza, and that's the fate of the Middle East,'" Ben-Eliezer said.
"'They may be talking about democracy but they don't know what they're talking about and the result will be extremism and radical Islam,'" he quoted Mubarak as saying.
U.S. support for pro-democracy elements in Iran has not led to regime change in the Islamic Republic, and Hamas, a group Washington considers to be a terrorist organization, won a 2006 Palestinian election promoted by the United States.
Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip in 2007 after a coalition government it formed with Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas collapsed in a power struggle.
Ben-Eliezer said Mubarak expanded in the telephone call on "what he expects will happen in the Middle East after his fall".
"He contended the snowball (of civil unrest) won't stop in Egypt and it wouldn't skip any Arab country in the Middle East and in the Gulf.
"He said 'I won't be surprised if in the future you see more extremism and radical Islam and more disturbances -- dramatic changes and upheavals," Ben-Eliezer added.
Egypt in 1979 became the first Arab country to sign a peace treaty with Israel and has backed U.S.-led efforts to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Last week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned of an Iran-style Islamist revolution in Egypt should Mubarak's Muslim Brotherhood rivals eventually take over.
"He repeated the sentence, 'I have been serving my country, Egypt, for 61 years.
Do they want me to run away? I won't run away.
Do they want to throw me out? I won't leave. If need be, I will be killed here,'" Ben-Eliezer said.
Do You Qualify For an Honorary Doctor of Divinity from Harvard Theological Seminary? (Click for Program and Free Evaluation)
"Fair Use" Notice:
Contributions from the best scholars in numerous fields are added to Ministers-Best-Friend.com website daily. Such research papers and articles:
* May not represent the views of Cambridge Theological Seminary;
* Have not been peer-reviewed by Cambridge Theological Seminary;
* Being a global ministry of huge proportions - yet of mostly retired volunteers (locally) - it is not possible to "verify" every piece that is submitted to us.
* There is not - and never has been - any money, checking or savings account, or any other such fund associated with Ministers-Best-Friend.com or Cambridge Theological Seminary.
* The 75,000-plus page archive of Ministers-Best-Friend.com may or may not contain a tiny amount copyrighted news/political reporting material whose use may or may not have been authorized by the copyright owners;
* To the best of our knowledge we believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the web constitutes a "fair use" of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
* If readers wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
* "Fair use" notwithstanding, we will immediately comply with any copyright owner who can show our use of such material is not in compliance with the fair Use law.
Thank You for your part in the Global Ministry of Ministers-Best-Friend.com - as of 1-1-2011 - in nearly 200 nations, approaching 40,000 associated Bible Believing Ministers and over 30,000 Ministries.
COPYRIGHT (c) 1977 Cambridge Theological Seminary COPYRIGHT (c) 1965 Cambridge Bible Institute
* Cambridge Theological Seminary USA & Global has no connection or relationship to Cambridge University in England, EXCEPT . . . we in the USA are carrying on their "Christian Values of Hundreds of Years" . . . as they have long since become secular humanists, agnostics and atheists: "Anti-Christ" in almost every way and contrary to every Scripture.
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Dr. D. James Kennedy: Can you be as Bold as Him?
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Cambridge Theological Seminary Office, USA
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Free Ordination-1 by Cambridge Theological Seminary
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Religious Degrees, Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate
FROM: IAIA Accreditation, TO: A few Recent Ministry Partners
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary,
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Ministers Main Page
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Home-Based-Ministry: Serve God, Make Money, Save Taxes
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO GENERAL HOME PAGE
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO MINISTERS HOME PAGE
Most Important Questions You'll Ever Answer? Do you understand "Eternal Life as God's FREE GIFT" - Unearned and Undeserved? "Eternal Life as God's FREE GIFT!"
Do you know FOR SURE that you have Eternal Life: Here & Now?
"Eternal Life: Here & Now FOR SURE!"
In 'VERY FEW MINUTES' ... you can Know for Certain if you're saved ... or not! In 'TWO MINUTES' - Know if you're Saved or not!
Search Web's Most Comprehensive Christian Site All-Things-Bible, Church, History, Leadership, Psychology, Politics, Science, Health, Sermon Resources, "Starters", Illustrations & Stories, Humor, Quotes, Sermons (Audio & Print) From Ancient Rome, Greece & Jewish History to Latest News Headlines!