Do You Qualify for An Honorary "Doctor of Divinity" from Cambridge Theological Seminary?If you believe the Cambridge Statement on God's Word: Probably! (Click for a Free Evaluation!)
The Read Sea-Dead Sea Canal (sometimes called the Two Seas Canal) is a proposed canal which would run from the Red Sea to the Dead Sea and provide electricity and potable water to Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority.
This proposal has a major role in plans for economic cooperation between Israelis, Jordanians and Palestinians, through the Peace Valley plan. The water level in Dead Sea is shrinking at a rate of more than one metre per year, and its surface area has shrunk by about 30% in the last 20 years.
This is largely due to the diversion of about 90% of the water volume in the Jordan River. In the early 1960s, the river moved 1.5 billion cubic metres of water every year from the Sea of Galilee to the Dead Sea.
But dams, canals and pumping stations built by Israel and Jordan to divert water for crops and drinking have reduced the flow to about 100 million cubic metres.
A shorter route for a canal to stop the Dead Sea from shrinking, the Mediterranean-Dead Sea Canal, has been proposed in Israel, but was discarded due to high investment costs of the needed long tunnel.
On May 9, 2005 Jordan, Israel and the Palestinian Authority signed an agreement to go ahead with a feasibility study for the Two Seas Canal. The agreement was signed on the Dead Sea by Jordanian Water Minister Raed Abu Soud, Israeli Infrastructure Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer and Palestinian Planning Minister Ghassan al-Khatib.
In June 2009, after a meeting with World Bank President Robert Zoellick, the Israeli Regional Cooperation Minister, Silvan Shalom, announced a pilot project to build a "pilot" pipe 180 km long from the Red Sea to the Dead Sea.
The pipe would pump 200 million cubic meters per year. Half of this would be desalinated for Jordanian consumption and half put into the Dead Sea..
In October 2009 the Jordanian government announced that it would unilaterally tender a Jordan Red Sea Project. According to the government, this project could be considered as the first phase of the Read Sea-Dead Sea Project.
The consulting firm that carries out the feasibility study, Coyne and Bellier, expressed its surprise at the decision to go ahead with the project before the feasibility study was completed. But the Jordanian government said it could not wait any longer. The project is to be implemented by a private company under authority granted by the government.
The project would also serve as an economic development project to create housing for 1.36 million people south of Amman, at the Southern end of the Dead Sea, north of Aqaba and in gated communities. Also, several touristic resorts would be created.
It is divided into five phases. The first phase would include extraction of 400 million cubic meters (MCM) of seawater per year, resulting in 210 MCM/year of freshwater and 190 MCM/year for discharge into the Dead Sea.
The construction of the first phase is expected to take 7 years. In March 2011 the Ministry of Water and Irrigation short-listed six firms for the first phase of the project. Project features and benefits
The proposed canal would pump seawater 230 meters uphill from the Red Sea's Gulf of Aqaba in Jordan and then run down into the Dead Sea, which lies about 420 m below sea level.
The project will consist of about 525km of seawater and bring conveyance pipelines along the Arabah valley in Jordan and 348km of freshwater conveyance pipelines. It includes water desalination plants and hydropower plants.
In its ultimate phase the Jordan Red Sea Project would provide 930 million cubic meters of freshwater per year for Jordan.
It would require 995 MW of electric generating capacity and would provide 180 MW through hydropower, making the project a large net energy users. The net energy demand would have to be satisfied through power projects whose costs is not included in the project costs. Jordan plans to build a nuclear reactor which may supply these power needs.
Costs and financing
The project cost estimates vary from two to ten billion dollars depending on its structure and stages. The first phase of the Jordan Red Sea Project is expected to cost US$2 billion. It is expected to be financed to a large extent from commercial sources, including debt and equity.
Since water tariffs in Jordan are low, the private investors are expected to earn revenues largely from residential, touristic, commercial and industrial real estate developments that would be built near the route of the canal.
The transfer of mass volumes of water from one sea to another, can bear drastic consequences on the unique natural characteristics of each of the two seas, as well as the desert valley which separates them, the Arabah.
Some of these characteristics, especially in the Dead Sea area, are unique on a global perspective, and therefore crucially important for conservation. The environmental group Friends of the Earth Middle East has protested against the allegedly premature approval of the project, without sufficient assessment of the project's impact on the natural environment of the area.
The group lists several potential hazardous effects of the project on the unique natural systems of the Red Sea, the Dead Sea and the Arabah. These effects include:
1. Damage to the unique natural system of the Dead Sea, due to mixing its water with Red Sea water, or brines created from the process of desalinating Red Sea water which has a different chemical composition. This includes changes in water salinity, massive formation of gypsum, formation of volatile toxic compounds, change in water evaporation rates, changes in the composition of bacteria and algae which inhabit the sea surface, chemical changes in the rocks which surround the water, and loss of unique health benefits that account for much of the tourist attraction to the Dead Sea area.
2. Damage to the coral reefs of the Gulf of Aqaba, due to water pumping.
3. Damage to the natural landscape and ecosystem of the Arabah, due to the construction, and the increase in humidity caused by the open canal segments.
4. Damage to the aquifer of the Arabah, due to contamination of groundwater with water from the Red Sea. The alluvial deposits in Wadi Araba contain important supplies of fresh water. In the event that the pipeline ruptures (as might happen in the case of an earthquake), these aquifers will be irreparably damaged. This can bear fatal consequences to both the agriculture and ecosystem of the Arabah.
5. Threats to archeological heritage. The pipeline will cross areas of important cultural heritage, such as Wadi Finan, where the earliest copper mining and extraction in the world took place.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem Prof. Avner Adin said more studies were needed on the potential environmental impact.
The proposal has also generated some concern in Egypt, which believes that the canal will increase seismic activity in the region; provide Israel with water for cooling its nuclear reactor near Dimona; turn the Negev Desert in to a settlement area and increase the salinity of wells.
* Mediterranean-Dead Sea Canal
References and Links
1. ^ Jpost article on Silvan Shalom announcement, jpost.com, 6/28/09.
2. ^ The Telegraph:Jordan to refill shrinking Dead Sea with salt water, October 10, 2009, retrieved on May 12, 2011
3. ^ a b Jordan Red Sea Project:Jordan Red Sea Project Description, retrieved on May 11, 2011
4. ^ "On the possible negative impacts of the project on the natural environment of the Dead Sea and Arava Valley". foeme.org. Archived from the original on 2007-04-05. http://web.archive.org/web/20070405233944/http://foeme.org/projects.php?ind=51. Retrieved 2007-04-06.
5. ^ Water expert: Red-Dead 'pilot' project could be premature, By EHUD ZION WALDOKS, Jun 28, 2009.
6. ^ Jerusalem Post editorial, June 28, 2009
7. ^ "Dead Sea-Red Sea Canal could Cause Quakes -Official". planetark.com. http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/31801/newsDate/27-Jul-2005/story.htm. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
*  Article from Ynet on the approval of the Two Seas Canal by Israel government]
*  Article from NRG on the approval of the Two Seas Canal by Israel government]
* World Bank promotes Dead-Red Sea canal - Rory Kress, July 25, 2007 The Jerusalem Post
* Environmentalists slam World Bank over Red-Dead canal - Rory Kress, August 12, 2007 The Jerusalem Post
COPYRIGHT, NewtonStein, Cambridge Theological Seminary™ 1973 © 1973 ©
Ministers-Best-Friend.com is an Absolute, Bible-Believing, Conservative Christian Ministry, seeking to serve the Ministers who serve the LORD JESUS. As such, we provides web-space to a number of Ministries, notably NewtonStein (a Creation-Science-Based Research Group), as well as AMERIPEDIA, BIBLIPEDIA, CHRISTIPEDIA, CATHOLIPEDIA, ISLAMIPEDIA, JUDAEOPEDIA, TEA-PARTY-UNITED, TALK-RADIO-REPUBLICANS, ETC., – seeking to be an outlet for many CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE VOICES who love the LORD JESUS CHRIST ABOVE ALL!
Obviously, all phases of Christianity do not agree doctrinally or politically and sometimes even disagree on the actual facts concerning a particular leader, nation or situation, hence there are well over 10,000 denominations extant.
We neither claim nor present ourselves as having perfect knowledge in all things. Thus views and articles posted on this website are those of their authors – who often insist their identities, denominational, and/or doctrinal persuasion be made known for various reasons – offered to you as wise people of God - Christian Patriots, whatever your nation - to discern for your own judgement and edification.
In the NAME of Jesus Christ Our Lord and Saviour:
Do You Qualify for An Honorary "Doctor of Divinity" from Cambridge Theological Seminary?If you believe God's Word as Stated Above: Probably! (Click for a Free Evaluation!)
Please Visit TOP-TWENTY-FIVE AMERIPEDIA™ Pages  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "SARAH PALIN TOP-100 WEBPAGES!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" – Potential President Marsha Blackburn: TEA-PARTY SUPER-HERO!  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Ronald-Reagan Files: The Great Communicator  "AMERIPEDIA™" – Kristi Noem, The New TEA-PARTY-PRINCESS!  "AMERIPEDIA™" – REAGAN REPUBLICAN Michelle Bachmann for President: 2012 or 2020?  "AMERIPEDIA™" – “TEA PARTY PRINCESS” - KRISTI NOEM, BRIEF-BIO  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Barack Obama Files: His Muslim Connections  "AMERIPEDIA™" - TALK-RADIO-REPUBLICANS HOME PAGE  "AMERIPEDIA™" - TEA-PARTY HISTORY and BACKGROUND  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Conservative Activists: "Who's Who in Christian Conservative Politics?  "AMERIPEDIA™" - SARAH PALIN HOME PAGE: "Winning Big Winning Easy in 2012!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" - TALK-RADIO-CONSERVATIVES Home Page: For a Judaeo-Christian America  "AMERIPEDIA™" - The ALL-PRO-ISRAEL-BLOG  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Sarah Palin Blog: The Webs Largest "Pro Sarah Palin Site!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" - The "Rush-Recommended Republican Blueprint!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "Rush Limbaugh Quotes" on Christ and Christianity!  "AMERIPEDIA™" - PNN, "PALIN NEWS-NETWORK”: Her Book Sales Set Records!  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "TALK-RADIO REPUBLICANS, Michele Bachmann, BRIEF-BIO!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "TALK-RADIO REPUBLICANS, "Republican Power and Catholics!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "Hall of Faith Christian Activist Ministers, 2nd-half 20th Century "  "AMERIPEDIA™" - "TALK-RADIO REPUBLICANS, "American Bible Catholics!"  "AMERIPEDIA™" – RUSH REPUBLICANS, HOME-PAGE  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Reagan Republicans Home Page  "AMERIPEDIA™" - PRO-LIFE Page  "AMERIPEDIA™" - Michele-Bachmann, TEA PARTY DARLING Causing “Hysteria-on-the-Left!”
"Fair Use" Notice:
Contributions from the best scholars in numerous fields are added to Ministers-Best-Friend.com website daily. Such research papers and articles:
* May not represent the views of Cambridge Theological Seminary;
* Have not been peer-reviewed by Cambridge Theological Seminary;
* Being a global ministry of huge proportions - yet of mostly retired volunteers (locally) - it is not possible to "verify" every piece that is submitted to us.
* There is not - and never has been - any money, checking or savings account, or any other such fund associated with Ministers-Best-Friend.com or Cambridge Theological Seminary.
* The 160,000-plus page archive (1-1-2001) of Ministers-Best-Friend.com may or may not contain a tiny amount copyrighted news/political reporting material whose use may or may not have been authorized by the copyright owners;
* To the best of our knowledge we believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the web constitutes a "fair use" of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law).
* If readers wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
* "Fair use" notwithstanding, we will immediately comply with any copyright owner who can show our use of such material is not in compliance with the fair Use law.
Thank You for your part in the Global Ministry of Ministers-Best-Friend.com - as of 1-1-2011 - in nearly 200 nations, approaching 40,000 associated Bible Believing Ministers and over 30,000 Ministries.
COPYRIGHT (c) 1977 Cambridge Theological Seminary COPYRIGHT (c) 1965 Cambridge Bible Institute
* Cambridge Theological Seminary USA & Global has no connection or relationship to Cambridge University in England, EXCEPT . . . we in the USA are carrying on their "Christian Values of Hundreds of Years" . . . as they have long since become secular humanists, agnostics and atheists: "Anti-Christ" in almost every way and contrary to every Scripture.
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Dr. D. James Kennedy: Can you be as Bold as Him?
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Cambridge Theological Seminary Office, USA
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Free Ordination-1 by Cambridge Theological Seminary
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Religious Degrees, Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate
FROM: IAIA Accreditation, TO: A few Recent Ministry Partners
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary,
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Ministers Main Page
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO: Home-Based-Ministry: Serve God, Make Money, Save Taxes
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO GENERAL HOME PAGE
FROM: Cambridge Theological Seminary, TO MINISTERS HOME PAGE
Most Important Questions You'll Ever Answer? Do you understand "Eternal Life as God's FREE GIFT" - Unearned and Undeserved? "Eternal Life as God's FREE GIFT!"
Do you know FOR SURE that you have Eternal Life: Here & Now?
"Eternal Life: Here & Now FOR SURE!"
In 'VERY FEW MINUTES' ... you can Know for Certain if you're saved ... or not! In 'TWO MINUTES' - Know if you're Saved or not!
Search Web's Most Comprehensive Christian Site All-Things-Bible, Church, History, Leadership, Psychology, Politics, Science, Health, Sermon Resources, "Starters", Illustrations & Stories, Humor, Quotes, Sermons (Audio & Print) From Ancient Rome, Greece & Jewish History to Latest News Headlines!