Tommy Kono
An Awesome American, World and Olympic Champion!
(Three Articles!)

Tommy Kono was brought into this world by Father God on June 27, 1930, in Sacramento, CaliforniaU.S and was called to Meet His Maker on April 24, 2016, (aged 85) in Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.

Tamio "TommyKono was an American weightlifter in the 1950s and 1960s. Kono set world records in four different weight classes:[1] 

  1. lightweight (149 pounds or 67.5 kilograms), 
  2. middleweight (165 lb or 75 kg), 
  3. light-heavyweight (182 lb or 82.5 kg), and 
  4. middle-heavyweight (198 lb or 90 kg).[2]

Early life

Of Japanese descent,  Kono's family was relocated to Tule Lake internment camp in 1942 during World War II.[3] Sickly as a child, the desert air helped Kono's asthma.[4] It was during the relocation that Kono was introduced to weightlifting by neighbors including the late Noboru "Dave" Shimoda, a member of the Tule Lake weight lifting and bodybuilding club and brother of actor Yuki Shimoda and his friends, Gotoh, Toda, and Bob Nakanishi.

After 3½ years they were released and Kono finished high school at Sacramento High. He later worked for the California Department of Motor Vehicles and attended Sacramento Junior College.[5]Kono was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1950 but was kept home from the Korean War after officials learned of his Olympic potential.[6]


Kono was a gold medalist at both the 1952 Summer Olympics and 1956 Summer Olympics, and a silver medalist at the 1960 Summer Olympics under coach Bob Hoffman. Kono won the World Weightlifting Championships six consecutive times from 1953 to 1959 and was a three-time Pan American Games champion; in 1955, 1959, and 1963.[7]

 A knee injury prevented him from qualifying for the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo and the following year he retired from the sport.[3] 

He set a total of 26 world records and 7 Olympic records.[8][9]

Tommy Kono was also a successful bodybuilder, winning the Fédération Internationale Haltérophile et Culturiste Mr. Universe titles in 1954, 1955, 1957 and 1961.[10] After his retirement he turned to coaching, taking on the Mexican 1968 Summer Olympics and West German 1972 Summer Olympics weightlifting teams before becoming head coach of the United States' Olympic weightlifting team at the 1976 Summer Olympics.[3][8]

During his weightlifting career in the 1960s, he developed a pair of bands to support knees during training. These eventually extended to the elbows and became standard weightlifting equipment.[8] While he was coaching in Germany during the 1970s, his correspondence with Adidas led to the firm's development of low cut weightlifting shoes.[11][12]


Along with his weightlifting and bodybuilding titles, Kono was an eight-time Amateur Athletic Union James E. Sullivan Award finalist, an award given annually to the top American amateur athlete.[13] He was also one of the first members of the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame in 1978.[14]

 In 1990, Kono received the Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen Highest Achievement Award and was inducted into the United States Olympic Hall of Fame.[15][16] He was elected to the International Weightlifting Federation Hall of Fame in 1993.[17] In 2005, the International Weightlifting Federation named Kono the “Lifter of the Century.”[18]


Kono died on April 24, 2016 in HonoluluHawaii from complications of liver disease, aged 85.[2]


  1. "Sports Biographies: Kono, "Tommy" (Tami T.)". Hickok Sports. Archived from the original on May 26, 2013. Retrieved April 26,2016.
  2. "Olympic weightlifter Kono dies at 85"Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  3. Miyaguchi, Sean (4 December 2015). "Olympic journey of American weightlifting legend Kono began in WWII internment camp"The Japan Times. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  4. Seip, Jim (April 30, 2016), "Greatest Olympic lifter found strength in York"York Daily Record
  5. Svinth, Joseph R. (January 2000). "PT: Tommy Kono". Physical Training. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  6. Zaccardi, Nick (April 25, 2016). "Tommy Kono, Olympic weightlifting legend, dies at 85"NBC Sports. Retrieved April 26,2016.
  7. Scheuring, Ian (April 25, 2016). "Olympic gold medalist, legendary weightlifter Tommy Kono dies"Hawaii News Now. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
  8. "Two-Time Weightlifting Olympic Champion Tommy Kono Dies At 85"Team USA. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  9. Litsky, Frank (2016-04-29). "Tommy Kono, Weight-Lifting Champion Raised in Internment Camp, Dies at 85"The New York TimesISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
  10. "Mr. Universe Competition by FIHC". Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  11. Schmitz, Jim (2014). "The Feet"IronMind. Retrieved April 26,2016.
  12. Heffernan, Conor (April 5, 2016). "The History of Weightlifting Shoes". Physical Culture Study. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  13. Atkin, Ross (March 8, 1996). "America's Outstanding Amateur"The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  14. "Inductees by class". Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on July 20, 2015. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  15. "AOBS Highest Achievement (Vic Boff) Award Recipients". Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen. Archived from the original on November 18, 2016. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  16. "Notable US Olympic Hall of Fame inductees"NBC Sports. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
  17. "Weightlifting Hall of Fame"International Weightlifting Federation. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
  18. Litsky, Frank (April 29, 2016), "Tommy Kono, Weight-Lifting Champion Raised in Internment Camp, Dies at 85"The New York TimesExternal links[edit]Official website

TOMMY KONOBy Joseph R. Svinth Copyright © 2000. 
All Rights Reserved.

Physical Training, January 2000

Tamio "Tommy" Kono is the most successful Japanese American weightlifting competitor of the twentieth century, and among the best Olympic weightlifters of all time.

Kono was born in Sacramento, California, on June 27, 1930. The fourth (and youngest son) of Kanichi and Ichibi (Ohata) Kono, his eldest brothers were twins, John and Mike (8 years older), and his next brother was Frank (5 years older).

Kono's older brothers were all born in North Platte, Nebraska. Kono's father had saved his money and was planning on permanently relocating to Japan in 1930 but before the family left the Depression started and as a result it stayed in the US instead. It relocated to Sacramento, California, however, because there were more people of Japanese ancestry living there than in North Platte.

As a child Kono suffered from asthma and his parents tried a variety of traditional Japanese remedies including moxabustion and powders made from bear kidneys and snakes. "I used to wish with all my might for good health," he later recalled.

Toward taking his health into his own hands, during early 1942 Kono sent a penny postcard inquiring about the Charles Atlas bodybuilding course. He received a measurement form by return mail, and his brother Frank recorded that at age 11 young Tommy stood 4'8-1/2" tall, and had a 29" chest, a 26" waist, and a body weight of 74-1/2 pounds. But, as he didn't have the $36 the Atlas course required, he never enrolled.

About 120,000 Japanese Americans were forcibly evacuated from the Pacific Coast between March and July 1942, and in June the Kono family was sent to the Tule Lake Relocation Center in northern California. Life in the relocation center was unpleasant so as soon as they could his older brothers left for jobs back east. Kono and his parents, though, remained at Tule Lake until December 1945.

Being young, Kono was unaware of the great political division within the Tule Lake community. Meanwhile the desert air cured his asthma and he had lots of time to spend with his friends. Among these friends were Ben "Ace" Hara and Tad Fujioka, who in late 1944 or early 1945 gave him a fifteen-pound barbell and the advice, "It's good for you, keep lifting it up, lots of times." Kono's maximum effort on his first try was 55 pounds three times and 65 pounds once.

The barbell Kono started with was owned by Block 27, whose young people had raised the money they needed to buy sports equipment, including a York "Ten-in-One" exercise kit, by running a carnival hamburger stand. Their gym was separate from the better-known one established in 1944 by the Olympic weightlifter Emerick Ishikawa.

Although Kono didn't then know Ishikawa personally, he did see him put on a demonstration that included some posing and handstands. He also saw the Olympic weights Ishikawa lifted. "They looked like train wheels to me!" Kono later recalled. 
Kono's early weight program consisted of lifting light weights three or four times a week for maybe an hour per session. His goal was not bodybuilding but simply increasing his overall strength and flexibility. To this day he believes that everyone should start slow and work their way up. A training program, said Kono in 1990, should include both long-range and short-range goals. "But be realistic about your goals," he added, "and give yourself ample time to reach these targets."

Following release from Tule Lake, Kono returned to Sacramento with his parents. After graduating from Sacramento High School he worked for the California Motor Vehicle Department and attended Sacramento Junior College. Meanwhile he played basketball in a Buddhist church league and lifted weights at the Sacramento YMCA.

In March 1948 Kono decided to accompany his friend Mits Oshima to the Northern California AAU weightlifting championships. Since he would be there anyway, he also decided to enter the competition. There were only two entries in Kono's division and he placed second. While hardly a spectacular debut, Kono enjoyed the experience and continued entering local competitions. His rapid improvement impressed the onlookers. For example, Chet Teegarden, commissioner of AAU weightlifting in Sacramento, later recalled seeing Kono during a contest held in Sacramento in December 1948. "He didn't have much style but he pressed 190 pounds," Teegarden said in an interview published in Pacific Citizen in August 1952. "Later he did knee bends with 300 pounds. That same day he went up to 360 and did a half knee bend. That's something for an inexperienced 150-pounder."

Kono also began training at Ed Yarrick's gym in Oakland. This was one of the best weightlifting gyms on the Pacific Coast, and training partners there included Dan Uhalde, Art Jones, and Roy Hilligen.

In February 1949 Kono took first in the welterweight (148-pound) division and a year after that he broke four California lifting records. The latter feat brought Kono to the attention of Sacramento sportswriter Wilbur Adams. His goal, Kono told Adams in a published interview, was to make the 1952 Olympics. As for weightlifting itself, Kono told Pacific Citizen in March 1950, "Anyone can learn the sport. It may not sound like a great deal of fun to an outsider, but it is like mental development. You get your pleasure out of the results. As you grow stronger, you work harder at it."

This was not idle talk, either, as during the Pacific Coast AAU weightlifting championships held in Berkeley, California on April 29, 1950 Kono took first with a total lift of 780 pounds. Two weeks later Kono placed second in the US Nationals in Philadelphia with a total lift of 760 pounds.

In September 1950 Kono flew to New York to participate in the World Championship tryouts. He didn't want to go because he was working nights and caring for his sick mother during the day. Plus, "at the time, plane fare was very expensive," Kono recalled. "Only rich businessmen flew, not normal people." Then Bob Hoffman, the US Olympic team's coach, wrote letters to the Sacramento newspapers asking that the Californians pitch in to send Kono to the Nationals. As Hoffman put it, he was spending his own money organizing a US team, so it was the least that Sacramento could do to spend its money to send a local lifter to the nationals. So the money was raised, explained the Pacific Citizen in February 1951, "when members of the Oak Park Athletic Club, a group of high school athletes in Sacramento, raised more than $300, partly from a bank loan. The Oak Park club staged a dance and sold cakes to obtain the money for Kono's trip."

"It was embarrassing to receive funds from others," Kono told Brian Niiya in May 1999, "not like today." But with so many people involved, he felt obligated to go to New York, and do well. The timing was poor, however, as the day before the competition he received a telegram saying that his mother had died. As a result Kono was not at his best and despite having lifted more than the current champion during training, he lifted less in the finals and ended up taking second. Disappointed, "I didn't even feel like coming home," he told Niiya, adding that the train ride back to Sacramento was a terrible time.

Soon after returning home he received his draft notice. During basic training at Fort Ord, California he was given the choice of becoming a cook, a clerk-typist, or a medic, and he chose cook. "All I knew," he said in an interview published in Iron Masterin 1990, "was that as a cook you could work one day and get the next day off. I did it so that I could train on my day off."

Unfortunately the Korean War was then on and North Korean infiltrators were notorious for shooting cooks. Therefore his days off were spent at the rifle range learning to shoot rather than at the gym lifting weights. His name was on the list to be sent to Korea, too, when his commander realized he had an Olympic potential on his hands. As a result Kono was taken off the overseas rotation list and instead made an instructor at the base gym at Fort Mason, near San Francisco.

With his time to lift assured, Kono was thus able to continue his Pacific Coast dominance. For example, in December 1951 he won the 148-pound division during a Pacific Coast competition held in Oakland and in January 1952 he set an unofficial US record during a YMCA tournament held in San Jose. During this period his training consisted of working out for 75 minutes three times a week. He also discovered the value of great leg strength. To develop it, he forced himself to do lots of heavy squats, a decision that later reaped great reward.

On May 3-4, 1952 Kono attended the Junior Nationals in Oakland, California, where he set three US and one world's record. This pleased the Army, which subsequently paid for Kono's trip to New York to try out for the Olympics. In the meet held at St. Nicholas Arena on June 27-28, 1952, Kono was the individual star and as a result was picked for the Olympic team.

The Olympics were held in Helsinki, Finland and the weightlifting events took place July 25-27, 1952. Despite an attack of food poisoning the night before, on July 26, 1952 Kono won a gold medal and set a world record in the snatch.

[Tommy Kono at  the Helsinki Olympics, 1952.  Photo gift of the Kono Family (97.141.5), Japanese American National Museum]

There was a controversy at these Olympics when two US champions were left off the team that entered the finals. The press made a big deal out of it, and Kono felt sorry for the men involved. Nevertheless, he as he told Brian Niiya, "They knew the score. You had to go with the guys who had the best chance of scoring points." And during the 1950s the score was doing whatever it took to beat the Russians.

In Helsinki many people remarked the fact that Kono wore eyeglasses and street shoes while lifting. "They're street shoes, it's true," said Chet Teegarden in the Pacific Citizen in August 1952. "But something has been added. Tommy had another narrow layer of leather placed in the heels of his shoes. He uses the squat style, resting on his heels, so the extra piece of leather raises his heels, moves the center of gravity forward and improves his performance."

Following the Olympics Kono, along with the other members of the US Army weightlifting team, was transferred to Germany. The idea was to allow the soldiers to easily travel to European meets. And travel he did. For example, on January 10, 1953 he and Clyde Emrich were in London, where during competition they beat two Australian weightlifters despite giving them a 200-pound handicap advantage.

Following his discharge from the Army in March 1953 Kono continued lifting three to four times a week, averaging between an hour and an hour and a half a session. To combat boredom, he changed his routines every three weeks.

This system worked well, too, as on June 6-7, 1953 he set an unofficial world's record in the press during a meet in Indianapolis. Two months later in Stockholm he took first in the 165-pound division and set a clean-and-jerk record. And in between he won a Mr. World physique title.

Such a busy schedule was typical, as in 1954 Kono set nine US and four world's records. What drove him was having seen what happened to the fine African American lifter John Davis, who had easily won several titles and then not had the edge he needed to overcome a serious challenge faced in 1953. "Breaking records was one way not to get stagnant," Kono later explained.

In March 1955 Kono was in Mexico City for the first Pan-American weightlifting championships. To take first he pressed 316.25 pounds, another world record. On June 4-5 he was in Cleveland, Ohio for the US Nationals. To no one's surprise, he took first at 181 pounds with a combined lift of 940 pounds. After that the American team of which Kono was part visited the USSR, Egypt, and Iran. And, to keep from getting bored, he also found time to be crowned Mr. Universe.

After returning to the United States Kono decided to move to Hawaii. He had first visited Honolulu in November 1953 and after the Pan-Am Games of 1955 moved there upon being offered a job selling dietary supplements. His partners in the latter business included Dr. Richard You, who was a pioneer of athletic nutritional programs, and the former Olympic weightlifter Emerick Ishikawa.

Although Dr. You paid Kono a small salary and let him live in his house, Kono's training and competition schedule prevented any serious non-competitive career ambitions. "Weightlifting has to come first -- ahead of everything," Kono told Steve Lum in 1985. 
His schedule remained hectic. For example, in October 1955 he competed in the World Championships in Munich, then went on a State Department trip through Asia, with stops in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, India, and Burma. Upon returning to Hawaii in late December 1955 he started attending (and winning) a tournament a month. But the effort was worthwhile because in the 1956 Olympics he won a gold medal and set a world record in the clean and jerk.

With two Olympic gold medals Kono thought about quitting competitive lifting, but Dr. You talked him out of this. The following year Kono also severely injured his left hand when a car door closed on it. But with the use of straps he was able to continue lifting and on June 22, 1957 he took first place in the US Senior Nationals. That November he also took first place in the World Championships in Tehran (the only US lifter to do so) plus won Mr. Universe.

This was the height of the Cold War, and Bob Hoffman, coach of the US Olympic weightlifting team, was obsessed by the desire to beat the Soviet team whenever possible. Toward that end, Kono competed at whichever of three different weights offered the US the greatest opportunity of defeating the Soviets. The way Kono added weight was by eating six or seven meals a day. To lose weight, he simply cut back to three.

In June 1958 Kono attended the US Nationals in Los Angeles. To take first place in the 165-pound division he lifted ten pounds more than did Jim George, the winner at 181 pounds. The following month Kono was in York, Pennsylvania to participate in the US Nationals.  Although no world records were set, Kono was chosen best lifter. At 165 pounds, his winning lift was still five pounds heavier than that of the 181-pound champion Jim George. A month later Kono was at the Pan-Am Games in Chicago. This time he won the 165-pound division with a lift that was twelve pounds heavier than George's first place win at 181 pounds. And in September 1958 he went to Stockholm to participate in the World Championships, where he won his seventh consecutive championship at 165 pounds, setting two new records in the process.

In October 1958 Kono won his eighth consecutive world title, a record that represented the high water mark of his competitive career. Although he easily won a place on the US Olympic team in June 1960, in Rome he was defeated for the first time in eight years and ended up taking silver instead of gold.

Disappointed, he gave thought to retiring but then decided to redouble his efforts instead. At first this worked; in Moscow in 1961, he set world records in the press and the total. But later that year he failed to make 165 pounds during the World Championships held in Vienna -- his scales and the official scales were at variance -- and as a result was forced to compete at 181 pounds, where he placed a disappointing third.

Kono went to Moscow in March 1962, but failed to place after missing all of his snatch attempts. At the US Nationals later that year he won, but was pushed by Lewis Rieke. Kono also had problems in Budapest during the World Championships, where he finished second. Admittedly that was the highest finish of any US athlete, but it still was not first.

Kono finished his international competitive career in 1963. In March he placed third in a contest in Moscow. In April he took first at the Pan-Am Games in Brazil, a feat he repeated at the US Nationals in June. But, in his last competition ever, the World Championships in Stockholm, he missed all of his snatches -- he had previously smashed his thumb between two plates and was unable to train properly -- and so was disqualified.

Nineteen sixty-three was also the last year that Kono was selected to compete for the AAU's James E. Sullivan award. Awarded to the outstanding US amateur athlete of the year, it was Kono's seventh consecutive selection, and for the fourth straight year he placed second in the polling. John Davis is the only other weightlifter to have been a finalist.

During the Fourteenth National YMCA Championships held in Los Angeles in April 1964, Kono won the 165-pound division. Although his totals set three National YMCA records, they were still 170 pounds behind his personal best. As a result he did not attend the Olympic tryouts, and so was not selected for the 1964 Olympic team. His last competition was therefore his third place finish in the US Senior Nationals held in Los Angeles on June 12, 1965.

Realizing he would soon need a new career, in 1964 Kono opened a gym at Wailuku, Maui. (He didn't want to open a gym in Honolulu because his friends already had gyms there, and he didn't want to cut into their business.) But Maui didn't have many serious lifters so in 1965 he accepted a job coaching the Mexican national weightlifting team. After that the West Germans hired him to coach their Olympic weightlifting team, a job he held until 1972. The Canadians then offered him a job coaching their national team, but he turned that down. "After living in West Germany for four years I wanted to return to the US," Kono told Steve Lum in November 1985. "My son didn't even know what baseball was." So he and his family returned to Oahu, where he got a job with the City of Honolulu. He remained active in US Olympic weightlifting, however, and was also the head coach of the US men's team from 1972 to 1976 and the US women's team from 1987-1990.

The key to his success, Kono said, was his mental training. "Successful weight lifting is not in the body," Kono told a reporter from Time in June 1960. "It's in the mind. You have to strengthen your mind to shut out everything -- the man with the camera, the laugh or cough in the audience. You can lift as much as you believe you can. Your body can do what you will it to do."

Toward building his mind, Kono said, "I just stress the positive aspects of life -- it's always worked for me." As for training, much of it was done alone in his basement. Kono always thought that this helped him overcome his personal limitations by teaching him to concentrate.

Regarding opponents, Kono said, "I don't think of my opponent, even in a close contest. I never would say to myself, 'I hope he slips.' That's a negative attitude. Saying that, you're relying on outside help to win. Prayer doesn't help, either. That's also relying on outside help. The will has got to come from me. It's all up to me."

And focus he could: "When Kono looks at me from the wings," the Soviet lifter Fyodor Bogdanov once said, "it works on me like a python on a rabbit." But while at the beginning the challenge of lifting the bar was fun, in the end it became an ordeal. So, before every lift in competition, he would say to himself: "Do I want to do this?" 
The answer, journalist Grove Day observed in 1960, was a resounding yes!

For a recent news article on Tommy Kono see:


The assistance of Brian Niiya, Graham Noble, and Tommy Kono in preparing this article  is gratefully acknowledged, as is the financial support of the Japanese American National Museum and King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.

For further reading, see:

"Atlas Come to Life," Time, 75, June 27, 1960, 69-70.

Day, A. Grove. "America's Mightest Little Man," Coronet, 48:3 (July 1960), 108.

"The Incredible Tommy Kono," Iron Master, reprint August 1993, no. 5, December 1990.

Lum, Steve. Hawaii Herald, November 15, 1985, 7.

Reynolds, William Mason. "A History of Men's Competitive Weightlifting in the United States from its Inception through 1972," unpublished MS thesis, University of Washington, 1973.

Wallechinsky, David. The Complete Book of the Summer Olympics (Boston: Little, Brown, 1996), 738. 


 by Tommy Kono

Tommy Kono won two Olympic gold medals, one silver, was eight times world champion, set 26 world records spread over 4 bodyweight classes, was not subsidized, did not have fancy training quarters, coaches, or any of the things of today.  How did I do it?  How did I beat the world?  I knew that lifting is more than muscle power.  It is mental power.  My second book tells you how to increase your mental power to make yourself lift at the championship level.
As the following brief story explains, you’ll learn that I was not a gifted or talented child nor born to a wealthy family.  I had many “ups and downs” while growing up and during the developmental years of my weightlifting career.  Nothing came easy for me.    
When I was in grade school I often wondered why I was a victim of asthmatic attacks when none of my friends or classmates had asthma.  My three older brothers were robust in health and so were my parents.  Why was I missing almost a third of my school days? I missed so many days of school that I was placed in the slow learners class. 
I grew up in the 1930s depression era in the lower end of Sacramento, California and when WW II broke out, my family, along with all the other Japanese-Americans on the West Coast, was interned in relocation camps.  With 3½ years behind barbed wire compound with military sentries posted in watchtowers and living in barracks, I felt socially out of place when I returned to my hometown after the war.  I was 15½ years of age and returning to “civilization” was almost like an immigrant setting up a new residence.  
Camp internment did improve my health, and it was in camp that my new next-door neighbor, who was into weight training, introduced me to barbell and dumbbell training.  Before returning to my hometown, I had a year of weight training behind me so my strength level had improved and filled out to some extent my skinny body that gave me more confidence.  
Training with weights and reading the monthly Strength & Health magazine did much to influence me in a positive way during my high school and Junior College years.  From the senior year of high school when I entered my first weightlifting contest, I improved so rapidly that within 26 months, at the Pacific Coast Championships, I had made the highest total (780 lb.) in the world of anyone in my bodyweight class.  The 1950 World Championships was won with 777 lbs. 
I missed making the 1950 U.S. World Championship Team because 3 days before the Team Try-out, my mother passed away; so instead of competing in the Trials, I flew back home.  
The following year I was determined to improve my lifting even more but the Korean Conflict called me to military service.  This curbed my weightlifting training completely for military “Basic Training” allows no time for any other activity for 11 weeks.  After my Basic Training, I took the option of becoming a cook in the Army so I could cook every other day and be able to train on my off duty days.  This worked fine until the North Koreans started to target the cooks.  The U.S. Army was known to “move on its’ stomach” and without warm food it was assumed the army would be demoralized.  
I reported to Camp Stoneman where the troop gathered to be sent overseas, but, in reporting for duty, I was informed that I was taken off the list because I was “a candidate for the Olympic Team.”  I suspect someone like Coach Bob Hoffman must have put in a good word for me in Washington, D.C. that gave me the opportunity to make the 1952 U.S. Olympic Team.  Evidently the U.S. Army thought I’d be of better service to the U.S. at the Olympic Games than “up front” as a cook.  Anyway, what could have been hazardous duty of war was now turned to a mission of representing the U.S. on the international stage at the Olympic Games.  
I won the gold medal at the Helsinki Olympics, but my military orders received just a few days before my competition date notified me to be stationed in West Germany for the remainder of my military term to fulfill my overseas duty.
I made the best of the situation while in Germany by giving exhibitions as a “guest lifter” to the German “league competitions,” a weightlifting competition among the various weightlifting clubs that was held on Saturday evenings.   
I learned much from taking part in these weekly lifting sessions and it helped me understand and refine the training process for improving continuously.  I was fortunate to have an Olympic lifting set where I was assigned but nothing else… no squat racks or a lifting platform and the Olympic set had iron plates.  Yet, by being resourceful and innovative in my training, every time I performed on weekends, I equaled or exceeded the Olympic record total of 880 lbs.  
With an Olympic gold medal and many exhibitions and a few international contests behind me, I returned to the U.S. to get discharged from the Army and was more confident in myself than when I left for Helsinki for the Olympic Games 10 months before.
My basic personality did not change because of the added experiences and exposure, but I did learn one thing; we should all strive to keep improving ourselves no matter what happens and that adversities and objects are there to challenge our mettle and to make us better, stronger persons.  It is in accepting that challenge that makes us persevere for the bigger goals of life.  
Making excuses or looking for excuses get you nowhere, but finding the solution to a problem is what weightlifting (and life) is all about.  
My first book, Weightlifting, Olympic Style, is what I consider a textbook on the Olympic lifts and it covers lifting technique to training programs and contest preparation with examples and stories related to actual performances.  
The second book, Championship Weightlifting, covers the mental and psychological side of Olympic weightlifting and expounds on the approach to overcome the barriers that hold us back from progressing.  Originally intended for coaches and elite lifters, I realized that the mental approach must be nurtured from the very beginning; so after several years of writing, I decided to rewrite some of the previous materials so it will be helpful to beginners as well.  
In Championship Olympic Weightlifting, 50% is mental, 30% technique and 20% power.  Most everyone has this in the reverse order of importance and spend too many hours in hard physical training but hardly any time in grooming his or her mind for the sport.  The second book emphasizes how important the mental aspect has on Olympic weightlifting.

“In his essay Self Reliance, Ralph Waldo Emerson
asked who is the master who would have
taught Newton; I ask who is the master who
would have taught Tommy Kono? Again he
shares with us his vast knowledge and expertise;
we are so fortunate . . .

Lou DeMarco, Senior International Coach

“I can’t think of any athlete or coach who
wouldn’t benefit from reading Championship
Weightlifting, and most will benefit a great
deal. There are many very useful and profound
points made by Kono. They are particularly
useful because they are points about mental
preparation, the importance of quality training
and technique mastery that are often mentioned
in passing but seldom addressed in detail in the
weightlifting literature.”
“In summary, this book is incredibly
helpful on its own, and in combination with
Weightlifting, Olympic Style, captures a lifetime
of learning from one of weightlifting’s most
outstanding participants and astute observers.
I recommend it highly.”

Artie Drechsler,
Author of “Weightlifting Encyclopedia”